I’m quite happy with this painting.
I spent a good amount of time, many hours in fact, mixing all of my basic colors of oil paints. I got some very beautiful, complex reds from mixing yellows with red violets. I decided to try one of these mixtures for these stunning and colorful daylilies. The color of the flowers is based on a mix of cadmium yellow medium and quinacridone rose. I also used Permalba white, yellow ochre, ultramarine deep, sap green, and Van Dyke brown. I painted the background smoothly with a brush. Then, I painted in the dark shadows with a muted blue green. I painted the leaves in with a brush, from dark, to middle, to light values. I put in the flower petals and the flower throats with palette knives. I made a point to blend the back edges of the flower petals into the background somewhat to add depth. Lost and found edges are very good to have. It adds depth, and helps the positive and negative space to flow together into a unified whole.
I let this dry for a few days, then I painted in the flower buds with palette knives, then the stems. After this dried to the touch, I added some hilights, and a few minor details. In my opinion, this is one of my best floral paintings. I hope you enjoy seeing it as much as I enjoyed painting it. Here is a link to the online listing.