I’m making a foray into watercolor painting! Up until recently, I always said to myself “I already do oils, acrylics, and pastels. I don’t need to do watercolors”. However, one day I picked up a set of Tombow watercolor brush pens just to sketch with in the field. I started playing around with them at home in the studio. I really enjoyed the fluid, organic way the paints mixed together on the paper. I also love that I don’t have much set up or clean up, just put the pens in their storage container. The luminous transparent quality is very nice too.
I’ve been learning the technical how-to’s of watercolor from a great youtube channel called “The Mind of Watercolor”.
I worked from a photo of bleeding heart flowers that I took while walking around the Missouri Botanical Garden with my husband. I thought the pink flowers were striking against the bright yellow green foliage.
I started by doing a line drawing. Then, I masked in all but the background with masking fluid, so I could put a graduated wash in for the background. I used watered down acrylic paints in lemon yellow, quinacridone magenta, and viridian green. The latter 2 pigments mixed made a type of violet. After the background wash dried, I removed the masking fluid. I had some minor problems with some of the paper coming up with the masking fluid, because the lady at Dick Blick sold me student grade cheap watercolor paper. (I have since purchased an Arches watercolor block, and will save the cheap paper for sketches and exercises).
Then, I painted in the blooms. I used pink at the top, and then a light layer of violet and light gray because the pink was too saturated in chroma. On the bottom, I added more pink, and violet. For the stems, I did a layer of yellow green, then a layer of hot pink. Then, I did the leaves in pale yellow, and pale green. I was not happy with the outcome. It had no pizzaz. I added more yellow to the leaves. I decided to go impressionistic, and did some pointillism with some Posca pens to add in some highlights, and to unify the colors. I put some green dots in the flowers, and some pink and violet dots in the leaves. I used an ivory Posca pen for highlights on the flowers and leaves. This definitely improved it, and made it more original. I want to try more pointillism in the future.